Re: [tor-talk] Thunderbird and Tor - question/s.

On Tue, 1/7/14, dhanlin <MlgAcRBC@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 Subject: Re: [tor-talk] Thunderbird and Tor - question/s.
 To: tor-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Date: Tuesday, January 7, 2014, 3:02 PM

 Bobby Brewster:
 > I was experimenting using Tor and Thunderbird by
 entering 127.0.0.1: 9150 in the TB Preferences.

 > I used my Gmail account and hence Gmail's SMTP server.
 >
 > I checked the headers of the message I sent to Gmail
 and the IP was a Tor exit node.

 > However, I am wondering whether using Tor and an e-mail
 client is as safe as using webmail when using the TBB.

 > My point is that I don't know to what extent the
 message is entirely encrypted.

 > For example, in a message send by Thunderbird there
 exists in addition to the message body:
 > from
 > date/time
 > subject
 > cc/bcc (perhaps)
 >
 > To what extent is this so-called metadata also
 encrypted?  This may be a stupid question for which the
 answer is 'obvious' but I would like to know.

 >>Are you aware of TorBirdy?

Yes. I had looked at it before.  I was interested in knowing the answers to the above question if one 'manually' configures TB and Tor as I mentioned above.

Also, if one wants to send HTML enabled e-mail then you cannot do that with TorBirdy.

So, hence, I would still like to know the answers to my original questions.  Thanks.