Re: [tor-talk] What to do if meek gets blocked

On Tue, Jan 06, 2015 at 10:23:38PM +0000, Geoff Down wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 6, 2015, at 09:56 PM, David Fifield wrote:
> > It's important to understand that even if you change the front domain,
> > you're not sticking some random person with a bandwidth bill. It's the
> > owner of the "url=" that gets charged, not the owner of the "front=",
> > and the "url=" has to be specially set up to accept meek connections.
> > The "url="s in this email are set up for public use (i.e., they are
> > what's getting paid for in the "Summary of meek's costs" emails I send
> > to tor-dev).
>
>  This is very cool. Presumably you could set up your own domain or
>  subdomain with OpenDNS or any other free DNS provider and point the
>  domain to Google's or Amazon's or Azure's IPs? Giving an unlimited
>  supply of Front Domains?

That might work and it might not. Give it a try. I know that at least
with Amazon CloudFront, you have to declare in advance which CNAMEs are
allowed to alias your CDN domain name. But I don't know if they enforce
it at the TLS layer or the HTTP layer. In any case you can for sure set
up your own CloudFront distribution, point whatever CNAMEs you want at
it, and then use those CNAMEs to front for the public URL.

> You didn't attach the picture, btw, but it's fairly clear.

Oh, I guess the list removed it or something. I added the screenshot to
a new section on the wiki page.
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/meek#Howtochangethefrontdomain

David Fifield