Re: [tor-talk] A Tor-based Public-Key Infrastructure

Great idea!

To avoid the dependency on servers/providers I suggest to take a Bitcoin-like blockchain with an extension to assign self-registered, globally unique pseudonyms to blockchain wallets and use the private ECDSA-key of the blockchain wallet corresponding to the pseudonym to sign X.509 certificates (e.g. S/MIME, object-code-signing, intermediate certificates for server applications like TLS, ...) which use the self-registered, globally unique pseudonym of the blockchain wallet as CommonName.

https://wiki.namecoin.info/index.php?title=Identity already provides a blockchain with registration of pseudonyms (=identity). All you need to do is the following:

Alice:
1. uses namecoind/Namecoin-QT to create a Namecoin blockchain wallet
2. uses namecoind/Namecoin-QT to register a pseudonym in Namecoin-blockchain (= identity) 3. uses some kind of application (e.g. HTML5 offline-app connecting to namecoind-/Namecoin-QT-RPC-API) which
   1. retrieves the private ECDSA-key key from the wallet
2. calculates the public ECDSA-key to retrieve the matching identiy from the blockchain 3. creates a x.509 certificate signed with the private ECDSA-key of the blockchain wallet (identity = CommonName)
   4. offers to save the x.509 certificate
5. imports the x.509 certificate into the browser if applicable (e.g. for TLS client authorisation) 4. installs saved x.509 certificate into any other application used for communication
5. retrives Bob's public key from blockain
6. connects to Bob providing her own x.509 certificate and validating the x.509 certificate presented by Bob

Bob:
1. same as Alice
2. same as Alice
3. same as Alice
4. same as Alice
5. accepts connection request from Alice
6. retrives Alice's public ECDSA-key from blockain and validates Alice's X.509 certificate

Advantages:
1. Tamper-proof publication of CommonName (=identity) <-> public key-tuple 2. Alice's applications (E-Mail, TLS, ...) already support x.509 certificates, so nothing to patch 3. Bob's applications can be patched easily by adding libcoin-support or namecoind-RPC-support

Disadvantages:
1. Namecoin stores a lot of meta-data in blockchain -> traffic and storage overhead
2. monetary operations -> small costs of money
3. Namecoin identities are lost if not renewed within 36000 blocks (~ 5 months)

I suggest to use the Namecoin blockchain as proof-of-concept and start a IETF workgroup for the real-world implementation.