Re: [tor-talk] [Cryptography] Implementing full Internet IPv6 end-to-end encryption based on Cryptographically Generated Address

On Fri, 25 Jan 2019 at 08:54, Mirimir <mirimir@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I've not heard of "Tor v3 Onion Networking". Does it exist? Or if not, are
> there plans? Or do you mean just using v3 onion-onion sockets? That would
> be painful.

Yes, I mean almost precisely that.

Explanatory video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcPfJj7CY1A

All this talk about making Onions pretend to be TCP/IP is ... not
maximising the value proposition of Onion Networking, in pursuit of some
result where I cannot see a clear benefit. (Adoption of a substandard[*]
solution, for adoption's sake?)

Tor's "presentation layer" is SOCKS5, which is okay ; perhaps eventually we
will have AF_ONION in the same way that AF_X25 exists:

        http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man7/x25.7.html

...and like I had to use for sending/receiving email at X.25-based UK
universities in the early 1990s.

But we don't need AF_ONION and a socket stack yet; what I think we need
right now is people making more services available on v3 onion addresses,
because it's faster and more secure.

Easing client connectivity by any means, does not provide benefit when
there are no servers/peers to talk to (see video).

[*]Simply: I am happier to see the end clients knowing that they are
talking directly to Tor rather than relying upon some per-operating-system
"shim" to make Tor available to them; aside from any other reason, shims
tend to get pushed upstream (NAT-boxes, anyone?) and further break the
end-to-end principle.

    - alec
--
http://dropsafe.crypticide.com/aboutalecm