Re: [tor-talk] Tor users from Finland jumped from 25 000 to 200 000

On Tue, Jan 11, 2022 at 08:06:00PM +0200, Nurmi, Juha wrote:
> In addition, there is a spike in non-direct bridge users from Finland as
> well.
>
> https://metrics.torproject.org/userstats-bridge-country.html?start=2021-10-13&end=2022-01-11&country=fi
>
> All this is happening only in Finland and we can easily see that from other
> countries nearby, like Denmark, Norway and Sweden, the number of connected
> users is flat stable.

> Furthermore, there was known Tor censorship in Russia in December, see
> https://blog.torproject.org/tor-censorship-in-russia/.

The increase in bridge users is not only in Finland; it closely matches
the recent dynamics in Russia, which are large enough to be visible even
in the global graph.

https://metrics.torproject.org/userstats-bridge-country.html?start=2021-10-15&end=2022-01-13&country=ru
https://metrics.torproject.org/userstats-bridge-country.html?start=2021-10-15&end=2022-01-13

It is possible that some IP addresses in Russia are wrongly geolocated
to Finland.