Re: Finding my exit node

On 2006.07.10, at 13:08, Geoffrey Goodell wrote:

On Mon, Jul 10, 2006 at 12:56:13PM -0400, Geoffrey Goodell wrote:
On Mon, Jul 10, 2006 at 11:55:17AM -0400, Jay Goodman Tamboli wrote:
I'm currently using an exit node that's returning "TorEnd" as the
response to any HTTP request. Vidalia doesn't seem to work (doesn't
see that Tor is running), so what's the best way to find out what my
current exit node is? I'd like to email the owner or at least report
the problem to someone.

Your question really has no answer, since the Tor circuit that you just
used five nanoseconds ago might have already been closed (or simply not selected)
by the time you use Tor to access a service to look up the exit node it
sees!

Any HTTP request, or just HTTP requests to port 80? Perhaps this web page would work for you:

http://serifos.eecs.harvard.edu:8000/cgi-bin/ipaddr.pl?tor=1

I'll make note of these URLs to test if I see it again. Shortly after seeing the error and realizing it wasn't a problem with the site itself, I tried going to http://ipid.shat.net/. Reloading that page gave me 3 different IPs, while reloading the problem site continued to give me the same TorEnd. As you said, the circuit changes, so I can't be sure anyway.

Interestingly, http://serifos.eecs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/ipaddr.pl? tor=1 currently reports that I'm coming from 67.106.81.120, which it claims isn't a Tor exit node. It is.

/jgt
--
http://tamboli.cx/