Re: Relay: not reachable

On Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 09:08:46PM +0200, Aymeric wrote:
> I'm trying to make a TOR relay.
> I use GNU/Linux (Zenwalk). The ports 443, 9001, 9030, 9050, 9051 have
> been authorized with Firestarter and I forwarded those ports in my
> touter (Netgear CBVG834G). But I keep having those errors:
>
>     [Warning] Your server (xx.xx.xx.xx:443) has not managed to confirm
>     that its ORPort is reachable. Please check your firewalls, ports,
>     address, /etc/hosts file, etc.
>     [Warning] Your server (xx.xx.xx.xx:9030) has not managed to confirm
>     that its DirPort is reachable. Please check your firewalls, ports,
>     address, /etc/hosts file, etc.
>
> If this comes from /etc/hosts, I don't know what to add.
>
> Can someone help me, please?

You didn't get your port forwarding right, is the simplest explanation.

There are some less likely explanations, like "your ISP filters port 443
inbound" and "whatever Zenwalk is has complex firewall rules that are
hard to turn off". But my guess is it's the port forwarding.

Also, you should not port-forward 9050 and especially not 9051. That
could potentially be a really bad security move. Only your ORPort,
and optionally your DirPort, should be reachable from the outside.

--Roger