Re: warning message question

     On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 03:52:38 -0400 Roger Dingledine <arma@xxxxxxx>
wrote:
>On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 02:32:45AM -0500, Scott Bennett wrote:
>>      Saturday morning, I got the following message.
>>
>> Jul 25 09:33:57.004 [warn] Received http status code 502 ("Proxy Error") from server '80.190.246.100:80' while fetching consensus directory.
>>
>> Can anyone explain the situation(s) that can result in such a message?
>
>80.190.246.100:80 is the DirPort on gabelmoo, one of the v3 authorities.
>So your relay was trying to get an updated version of the v3 consensus
>from gabelmoo.
>
>It looks like the way gabelmoo is listening on port 80 is by proxypassing
>it through apache. You can read more about that approach in this poorly
>organized faq entry:
>https://wiki.torproject.org/noreply/TheOnionRouter/TorFAQ#ServerForFirewalledClients

     Eeeeuuuuuwwwwww!  That's hideous.  Why would someone configure a mess
like that when they could just as easily use an RDR rule?

>and at that particular moment, for some reason apache decided that
>sending back a 502 proxy error was better than passing your request on.

     How would a typical user know that the "proxy" in question was an
apache server on the other end?  Ugh.

>For example, I bet this could happen if the gabelmoo relay was down at
>the time.

     Bummer.  Thanks for the explanation, Roger.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG