Re: Torbutton for Mozilla Thunderbird

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 03:27:33PM +0400, James Brown wrote:
> > Just google for torbutton-1.0.4.01-fx+tb.xpi and you'll find it.
> I tried to do it but all  references were unworked
>
> And what about creating a new version?!

Once upon a time, Torbutton just toggled your proxy settings on and off.
So it made sense to make it compatible with a lot of environments --
e.g. both Firefox and Thunderbird.

A year or so ago, Torbutton became something much better. Now it actually
tries to tackle all of the application-level gotchas that come up with
web browsing over Tor: https://www.torproject.org/torbutton/design/

Nobody has looked at the application-level gotchas in Thunderbird. I
wouldn't be surprised if Thunderbird wrote your IP address in an smtp
header or helo command or error message or something else.

It seems silly (no, worse than silly, harmful) to declare support for
Thunderbird when we haven't done any of the security work on it.

So, feel free to use Tor with Thunderbird, but it's probably not safe.

--Roger