From: Buck Calabro <kc2hiz@xxxxxxxxx>
To: tor-talk <tor-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sat, Jul 13, 2013 10:25 am
Subject: Re: [tor-talk] Will Tor affect Internet Explorer? (newbie question)

On 13 July 2013 04:07, Gabrielle wrote:

> Okay. Now I'm officially confused.
>
> If I download Tor, can't I run it as a separate program from IE?
> Can I run the two programs separately, like the proverbial ships in the night?

Unfortunately, yes you can.

> Can someone tell me exactly what it means to configure Tor through IE?
> Can't I configure it by itself and continue to use the two independently of
each other?

Anonymity and security can't be sprayed on after the fact.  They need
to be built-in from the start.  Tor is more than just a program that
runs on your computer, it's sort of like a parallel internet that runs
alongside the big internet, only more anonymously.  Tor doesn't do
something to your computer to make it safer, Tor carries your internet
traffic over a safer route.

Existing programs on your computer will continue to use the existing
path to the big internet.  Only programs that have been configured to
use Tor will use this new, safer path.  Re-configuring all your
existing programs is a Very Large Job, and not easily done by
beginners.  For beginners, almost everyone recommends the Tor Browser
Bundle because it already knows about Tor.