Re: [tor-talk] Network diversity [was: Should I warn against Tor?]

On 07/19/2013 04:45 PM, adrelanos wrote:

> Gregory Maxwell:

SNIP

>> These concerns should be reminding us of the importance of high
>> latency mix networks... they're the only way to start getting any real
>> confidence against a global passive observer, and the are mostly a
>> missing item in our privacy tool toolbelt.
>
> Seems like high latency mix networks failed already in practice. [1]

SNIP

> [1] Not written by me. Source [2]

SNIP

> [2] http://www.mail-archive.com/liberationtech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg00022.html

They've "failed" in being too hard to use, and providing levels of
privacy that few users felt were necessary. Using mixnym.net nyms with
alt.anonymous.messages as inbox isn't that hard using Quicksilver,
however. And mixnym.net even provides both nymserver and NNTP server as
hidden services ;)