Re: [tor-talk] Illegal Activity As A Metric of Tor Security and Anonymity

Juan,

Traffic analysis depends on visibility.  Tor attempts to obfuscate the source of a connection by proxying packets through a network, or chain, of systems.  If an attacker has visibility of the entire process, or even just two ends of that communication, then a range of information can be inferred.

To make an inference requires relating two or more distinct pieces of information (data points).  To undermine traffic analysis (counter-traffic analysis), or any form of analysis, we must first reduce the number of available pieces of information to just one (a single data point).

Hosting sites internally within Tor does exactly that, when it comes to a correlation attack.  The government has only one piece of the puzzle, that your machine sent a packet.  They need a second piece (i.e. where that packet went) in order to infer that you were looking at a particular hidden service.  Then they need additional information of what that site was in order to infer what you were looking at.  So, what we can see here is that for each inference we require an additional piece of information (data point).

Thus, if you want to understand the level of potential exposure of any software, be it Tor or Freenet (etc), then quantify the information (data points) available and what inferences can be made from them.

Then annoy the hell out of the developers until they eliminate each data point.

Regards,

Mark McCarron