Re: [tor-talk] High-latency hidden services (was: Re: Secure Hidden Service (was: Re: ... Illegal Activity As A Metric ...))

On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 9:58 PM, Seth David Schoen <schoen@xxxxxxx> wrote:
<snip>

> Then a question is whether users would want to use a service that takes,
> say, several hours to act on or answer their queries (and whether the
> amount of padding data required to thwart end-to-end traffic analysis
> is acceptable).

High-latency web browsing is actually a great use case and could
benefit from the extra security.

Apps like Pocket (http://getpocket.com/) work as a "read it later"
queue, downloading things for offline reading. While you're reading an
offline article, you can also follow links and click to add them to
your queue. They'll be fetched when you're online so you can read them
later.

"Offline mode" in current browsers unfortunately don't have this
queueing feature (I think), but it would be a fantastic addition to
TorBrowser.

An activist with limited internet connectivity could do their research
offline (Wikipedia, blogs, online news), follow links and queue them
all for download. When they get to a wifi hotspot, internet cafe,
etc., they can "sync" their TorBrowser and be free to go through the
material elsewhere (possibly more private).

Pushing latency a little further, this queue could even add sneakernet
support where it asks the user to plug in a USB drive and loads it
with a download script. User runs it somewhere with an internet
connection (or hands it to someone else), then loads it back in.
(Briarâhttps://briarproject.org/âcomes to mind.)

> --
> Seth Schoen  <schoen@xxxxxxx>
> Senior Staff Technologist                       https://www.eff.org/
> Electronic Frontier Foundation                  https://www.eff.org/join
> 815 Eddy Street, San Francisco, CA  94109       +1 415 436 9333 x107
> --

Blog:
http://www.discor.de

PGP:
CED4 BB85 FBC5 661E 56B2 3D5C DCE5 C2D2 FC19 843C
https://keybase.io/obvio171

Code is politics.

Se vocà usa a WikipÃdia, doe mensalmente para mantÃ-la no ar:
http://bit.ly/wikipedia-assinatura-mensal