Re: [tor-talk] Tor Exit Operator convicted in Austrian lower court

https://www.torproject.org/eff/tor-legal-faq.html.en
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TorExitGuidelines#Legal

> I know nothing of legalities surrounding that, but people starting a
> relay w/o proper guidance on how to avoid legal problems as much as
> possible, *doesn't quite seem right.*

If you have any specific ideas on how to improve the material, please
contribute!

We do whatever possible to support relay operators, both in regard to
organizing a lawyer as well as funding the legal battle. A generic "Tor
relay operator legal fund" is not simple to set up, especially if the
case involves other allegations than just running a relay. We have to be
careful.

I have talked to multiple lawyers, and this case would be very easy to
defend against. William was sadly unable or unwilling to communicate
properly, and he's not willing/able to put it to a fight. It is a sad
situation overall, but it does not change the clear legal status of
relay operation. All lawyers I talked to expect this case to be more
complicated than it looks, and it makes no sense to discuss this purely
based on what we have right now, which is some lawman's blog post.

--
Moritz Bartl
https://www.torservers.net/