Re: [tor-talk] Tor Project Is Sued / Austrian Parliamentary inquiry

Hi!

> Thease two threads seem important to Tor... (...) - Parliamentary
> inquiry about legal status of running Tor in Austria.

This is NOT, I repeat, NOT a threat to Tor as misleadingly written
before on tor-relays and tor-talk. We are a constitutional state here
(believe it or not ...) and until now nobody has been convicted for
running a Tor exit.

In the case of the Austrian operator the illegal material flowing
through the exit was only the starting point for the trial. He was
then convicted for "contribution to deliquency" as I wrote on Sunday,
because the judges came to the result, that he accepted willingly
illegal traffic over his exit. This is a total other thing than
running an anonymity service!

His fate were these quotes:

"You can host 20 TB child porn with us on some encrypted hdds."
Chatlog. (1) Here the counter argument was, that he tried as a kind of
"private undercover agent" to get information about a botnet from a
criminal, forwarded it, and the chat partner was caught later (2).
Anyway, the opinion of the judges was another.

"I don't give a fuck" Documentated answer to the question, if he knows
about the child porn dealt over Tor. (3)

There are reasonable opinions from Austrian special lawyers that the
judgement is wrong, but the convict does not want to appeal.

There are other Exit operators in Austria w/o problems (4) and also
the Austrian Pirate Party writes, that Tor is *not illegal* (5)

So, but now there are open legal questions how to treat Tor. I would
like to quote from MacLemons Mail to tor-relays (6)

"From what I understand the goal is to get an official statement by
the Austrian ministry of justice that Tor falls under the legal
definition of a communications network. Which would mean, that
Relay-Ops are not liable for the traffic passing through their relays
given they
	do not initiate the traffic by themselves
	do not select the recipient of the information
	do not select or alter the transmitted information"

=> Whatever the result will be, this discussion needs to take place in
the public and the parliamentary inquiry helps!

I hope that Tor Exits will be treated more liberal in future, but
nobody knows. It should be in the interest of the Tor community to
conduct this discussion. If successfull, more volunteers will run
exits, so the percentage of the exits of our beloved surveillance
services should decrease :-))

Best regards, and: stay wiretapped!

Anton

1)
http://futurezone.at/netzpolitik/tor-prozess-du-kannst-kinderpornos-auf-unseren-servern-hosten/74.093.526/print

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&sl=de&tl=en&u=http://futurezone.at/netzpolitik/tor-prozess-du-kannst-kinderpornos-auf-unseren-servern-hosten/74.093.526/print

2)
https://rdns.im/part-15

3)
http://futurezone.at/netzpolitik/strafe-fuer-tor-betreiber-grazer-urteil-wirft-fragen-auf/73.173.618/print

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&sl=de&tl=en&u=http://futurezone.at/netzpolitik/strafe-fuer-tor-betreiber-grazer-urteil-wirft-fragen-auf/73.173.618/print

4)
http://futurezone.at/netzpolitik/grazer-urteil-kein-grund-tor-relays-abzuschalten/73.365.441/print

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&sl=de&tl=en&u=http://futurezone.at/netzpolitik/grazer-urteil-kein-grund-tor-relays-abzuschalten/73.365.441/print

5)
https://www.piratenpartei.at/tor-netzwerk-nicht-illegal

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&sl=de&tl=en&u=https://www.piratenpartei.at/tor-netzwerk-nicht-illegal

6)
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays/2014-July/004945.html

- --
no.thing_to-hide at cryptopathie dot eu
0x30C3CDF0, RSA 2048, 24 Mar 2014
0FF8 A811 8857 1B7E 195B 649E CC26 E1A5 30C3 CDF0
Bitmessage (no metadata): BM-2cXixKZaqzJmTfz6ojiyLzmKg2JbzDnApC