Re: [tor-talk] Android app: Torrific

On 07/24/2014 11:20 AM, Daniel Martà wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 09:45:35 +0200, CJ wrote:
>> I was wanting to add the app to f-droid once it's in "beta" state, alpha
>> is maybe a bit early (though it shouldn't block the whole network
>> anymore now with latest release) ;).
>
> We had apps like davdroid in alpha stage for a long time, it's just a
> matter of making it clear that the app is not yet deemed stable.
>
>> Thanks for the license headup, and for pushing it to f-droid â means it
>> may be of some interests indeed :).
>
> I just pushed it, should be available tomorrow morning at the latest.
>
> Just out of curiosity though, wouldn't it be easier to just add this
> feature into Orbot? Like an extra option or toggle switch to enable the
> blocking of traffic that wouldn't go through Tor.

Thanks for adding thins one on f-droid :).

Regarding your question (as well as Lunar's): yep, completely possible
to add this feature either to Orbot, or AFWall or anything else.

Torrific has two aims:

 personal one: know how to build an android app, play a bit with the
system while find ways to secure a bit more this kind of devices,
without being prejudicial for current apps. And I love having one app
specialized in one task, as for devices.

 community: just show what we can do with our devices, show how easy it
is for people to just take over the control on their phone, phablet or
tablet.

To be honest, I won't cry if Orbot implements this functionality later
;). I'm not sure if Orbot should manage the firewall (though it's doing
it now, for the transparent proxy thing), as I prefer dedicated app for
special tasksâ But that's my PoV I guess.

Also, there are some stuff I want to add to Torrific, as described on
the website.
Among them, probably the most interesting would be to allow a browser to
bypass Orbot, especially for captive portals (ever tried to log-in in
this kind of things through Tor? I did, didn't work well as expected ;) ).
Of course this could also be added to Orbot. But, as said, Orbot is
first of all a Tor connector (well, here again, my PoV ;) ).

That said: point taken. Who knows, maybe I'll submit later some patch to
Orbot in order to add this functionality directly in the app. I was more
willing to play with AFWall, as it already manage the iptables as a
dedicated task.

Thanks again for the f-droid push and interest :).

Cheers,

C.