Re: [tor-talk] Why make bad-relays a closed mailing list?

Roger Dingledine writes:

> But in this particular case I'm stuck, because the arms race is so
> lopsidedly against us.
>
> We can scan for whether exit relays handle certain websites poorly,
> but if the list that we scan for is public, then exit relays can mess
> with other websites and know they'll get away with it.

I think the remedy is ultimately HTTPS everywhere.  Then the problem
is reduced to checking whether particular exits try to tamper with the
reliability or capacity of flows to particular sites, or with the public
keys that those sites present.  (And figuring out whether HTTPS and its
implementations are cryptographically sound.)

The arms race of "we don't really have any idea what constitutes correct
behavior for these vast number of sites that we have no relationship
with, but we want to detect when an adversary tampers with anybody's
interactions with them" seems totally untenable, for exactly the reasons
that you've described.  But detecting whether intermediaries are allowing
correctly-authenticated connections to endpoints is almost tenable,
even without relationships with those endpoints.

(I do think that continuing to work on the untenable secret scanning
methods is great, because attackers should know that they may get caught.
It's a valuable area of "impossible" research.)

Yan has just added an "HTTP nowhere" option to HTTPS Everywhere, which
prevents a browser from making any HTTP connections at all.  Right now
that would probably be quite annoying and confusing to Tor Browser users,
but maybe with some progress on various fronts it could become less so.

--
Seth Schoen  <schoen@xxxxxxx>
Senior Staff Technologist                       https://www.eff.org/