Re: [tor-talk] Cannot access tor onion sites via FF

On Sat, Jul 07, 2018 at 11:19:49PM -0400, David Niklas wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm running firefox 61.0.1. I am trying to access the media outlet
> defcon's onion site. https://media.defcon.org/ points me to:
> http://m6rqq6kocsyugo2laitup5nn32bwm3lh677chuodjfmggczoafzwfcad.onion/
>
> I have network.dns.blockDotOnion false
> network.http.referer.hideOnionSource true and
> network.proxy.socks_remote_dns true.
> Tor's https://check.torproject.org/ reports that I am using tor.

You should first be aware that the right way to do what you want is to
use Tor Browser. Using any other browser with Tor is likely to not
provide the same behavior, protections, etc:
https://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser/design/

So if you have a great reason to not use Tor Browser, ok, but you are
in expert mode territory. :)

> This: http://www.idnxcnkne4qt76tg.onion/ is said to be the tor projects
> home page which times out. Defcon's address returns "Unable to connect"
> without any perceptible delay.

This could be explained by a lot of things. My first thought is that the
version of Tor you have is old, so it doesn't know about v3 onion service
names (the longer safer kind). And my first suggestion for fixing it is
to use Tor Browser.

Hope that helps,
--Roger