Re: [tor-talk] torjail - run programs in tor network namespace

On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 02:51:36PM +0200, Udo van den Heuvel wrote:
> On 23-07-18 09:51, bic wrote:
> > I want to share a project made in _to hacklab.
> >
> > https://github.com/torjail/torjail
>
> Very interesting!!
> Would it make sense to run tor itself also in such an environment?
> If so: any examples?

You cannot run tor inside torjail.

Well, you can, but the tor instance inside torjail would exit through
the tor instance outside torjail (so using 6 nodes and not only 3 hops).

the whole point of torjail is to force all traffic via a virtual network
interface that's routed into tor's sock5 (tor is started by torjail
itself).

an use case could be an hidden service:
let's say you're running a website as an hidden service and your website got
hacked. without torjail an attacker could found the real ip of your
website easily.

thunderbird is another use case: if you got hacked, it's easier to
deanonimize you without torjail.

I hope this clarifies.

https://torjail.github.io/

ps.
if you think the project's name is a real issue, suggestions are welcome :)