Re: Tor Hardware Router (Tor in a box)

On Mon, Jun 13, 2005 at 12:02:01AM +0900, Ryo Tagami wrote:

> It's working fine without CPU fan, but I think it's too hot for
> appliances since it gets more than 60 degrees Celsius.

http://mini-itx.com/projects/quietcubid/

CPUburn is hand-written assembly language which thrashes your CPU to within
an inch of its life. Sadly, but perhaps unsurprisingly, there isn't a version
for the Nehemiah, but it still pushes your CPU temperature way over what any
normal flat-out use would be, so you can use it to check for temperature
stability problems. So, there's my "before" temperatures: 57°C under
SETI@home and 64°C under CPUburn, both after the system had been running for
hours, the CPUburn temperature reached after an extra 15 minutes.

A word about CPU temperatures: on older systems, where the CPU doesn't have
an on-die temperature sensor but there's one on the motherboard underneath
the CPU, the sensors under-read, as they touch the back of the CPU not the
hot part of the case. On that kind of system, a reading of 60°C or over is
horrendously high and something should be done to cool the CPU down before
the blue smoke comes out. Some manufacturers' BIOSes adjust the reading to
take into account the under-read, though, so don't panic so long as a cold
system reads somewhere in the high 40s. Anyway, more modern systems where the
CPU does have an on-die temperature sensor, you're getting the CPU core
junction temperature, and you're getting it correctly. VIA specify that the
Nehemiah can tolerate a case temperature of 85°C, which is the equivalent to
an on-die junction temperature of about 110°C with the standard heatsink and
fan, so getting a reading of 64°C is well within safe limits.

Eugen* Leitl <a href="http://leitl.org";>leitl</a>