RE: (FWD) Re: ISP Cutoff

Probably rate limiting will help, though in my experience with a DI-614+ and
the Lucent, you will still find that the router crashes after a weak or so.

If resetting just the router fixes your internet, it is probably the
culprit.

Check and make sure you have the latest firmware, it probably won't help,
but it doesn't hurt to try.

The main problem it seems to me is that P2P applications such as TOR
generate incredible numbers of connections, many of which are not properly
closed (because home users computers tend to go off line erratically)

My personal recommendation would be to purchase an old computer, (even a
Pentium 200 will work (I bought one 2 weeks ago for $1USD, try garage sales,
hamfests, etc), though try to get at least 64MB RAM), stick two ethernet
adapters in it, and use it as your router.  With a little fooling around,
the DLink, can be used as just and AP, and Ethernet switch, without routing
(just disable DHCP, and set the LAN address to be something on the network
you setup using the Linux box as the router (not the same address though),
and don't plug anything into the the DLink WAN port)

If you plan on running Tor on your router get something better than a P200

A simpler, though more expensive option would be to buy a Linksys WRT54g and
stick the SveaSoft firmware on it:
http://slashdot.org/~TheIndividual/journal/
Don't buy the firmware from SveaSoft, as they are scum, and should not be
supported.
Somewhat more difficult to use, but more flexible and ethical would be the
OpenWRT firmware at http://openwrt.org/

Anyhow, google is your friend

--Matthew