Re: False warning(?) and logging

On Tue, Jun 21, 2005 at 10:31:12AM +0300, maillist wrote:
> ExitPolicy reject 172.16.0.0/16:*
>
> Jun 21 10:19:28.418 [warn] exit_policy_implicitly_allows_local_networks():
> Exit policy accept *:80 implicitly accepts addresses in private network
> 172.16.x
> done.

According to the code, it wants it to be 172.16.0.0/12.
If this is the correct subnet (is it?), then we should probably make
the log entries clearer about this. Thanks for pointing it out.

> And logging (from my nodes config):
> ## Send all messages of level 'notice' or higher to /var/log/tor/notices.log
> Log notice file /var/log/tor/notices.log
>
> Doesnt that mean that level 'warn' should go there too? Well it doesn't,
> those warnings about exit policys never ended up in logs... How to fix this
> and really log notices and higher?

The problem is that those log entries happen before the log file is
configured. This is on our list of stuff to deal with in 0.1.1.x, but
some of them are hard to get the order right for, since that warning
happens before you act on your config options, meaning before you've
opened the logs. Hm.

> And third, is this anything to worry about?
> directory_handle_command_get(): Client asked for the mirrored directory, but
> we don't have a good one yet. Sending 503 Dir not available.

No, this is fine. With 0.1.0.x, when that notice happens, it immediately
goes to try to fetch another one; so unless it happens constantly for an
extended period of time, it's fine.

Thanks,
--Roger