From: owner-or-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-or-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Anothony Georgeo
Sent: Thursday, June 01, 2006 10:22 AM
To: or-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Vidalia

--- Charles Finley <vikingserver2006@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In my opinion Vidalia has too many bugs to be released in a package
> that is supposed to be stable.

Can you describe these bugs?

I run Windows XP Home and Vidalia v.0.0.4 has shown zero bugs so far.  TorCP
on the other hand was pretty buggy, especially when you used it to configure
a server (it crashed everytime).

> I immediately went back to using TorCP, as it is stable and
> predictable.

See my statment above.

> Vidalia messed up me server settings, and my comments I had made in
> the torrc file.

When Vidalia starts for the first time it reads your torrc and imports your
config settings into a new 'torrc' file it creates.  Your original torric is
now called 'torrc.orig.x' (where 'x' is most likly '1').
The new torrc file uses all the settings from your original torrc (which
were imported by Vidalia).

When you use Vidalia to cinfigure Tor (ie. to become a

server) Vidalia updates the torrc file it created with this new
configuration setting.

Registry keys are also used by Vidalia in Windows XP to save configuration
settings.  When you configure Vidalia two reg keys are updated (along with
the torrc).  These reg keys only contain configurations supported through
Vidalia (eg. no 'bandwith rate limiting', this would be in the torrc).

Note:
Vidalia seems to use these keys as a 'master' config setting and as a
'backup' for the torrc.  If the torrc uses the server nic "A" and the reg
keys use server nic "B" Vidalia will use server nic "B".

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\vidalia

HKEY_USERS\{Dynamic-Long-ID-Number}\Software\vidalia

> Vidalia has the potential to become a good program, but the decicion
> to include an unstable release of Vidalia...[snip]

I am very happy with Vidalia and I like where it is
going; v.0.0.5 looks good.  The creator of Vidalia is
open to suggestions and feature requests.

I requested a feature in Vidalia that shows your
private (local) and public (exit node) IP addresses
when you mouse over the system tray icon.  Within an
hour the author of Vidalia wrote to me and said he
would impliment this in v.0.0.5.

> [snip]...together with a stable release of TOR
> wasn't very smart, in my opinion.

Tor is not stable and will not be stable for a long
time.

Hell, the first Tor GUI I uses was called "TorControl"
and then came "TorCP" and now "Vidalia".  I must say
with each succession the GUI's have progressed leaps
and bounds.  IMO Vidalia is a great GUI with alot of
potential and an author who is very motivated.

> Also, it would be good to know why a GUI to TOR is
> called Vidalia?  Where is the connection between the
> names?

Vidalia is an onion.  Tor is a client/server program
which uses the Onoin Route II to anonymize/secure
traffic.

The connection lies in that Vidalia is an onion and
Vidalia is used to control Tor which utilizes the
Onion Route II.