Re: Tor Desktop

Here are a few other virtual anonymity machines:
- JanusVM [http://www.vmware.com/appliances/directory/392],
- xB Machine [http://xerobank.com/software.php],

I may be wrong but I thought one of the major problems with someone creating a anonymity virtual machine has been keeping them up to date with the latest version of Tor especially when a security fix comes out.  So it's not that they're bad ideas, they're just really high maintenance to do as a distributable project.

It all depends on how you setup your system and what you're using Tor for but personally, I think it's much easier to maintain security and privacy having a VM separate from your regular system if you're switching between using Tor and not. But that's just me...

~ROC Tor Admin

On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 11:32 PM, Kasimir Gabert <kasimir.g@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 8:58 PM, defcon <defconoii@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> why would u need a seperate tor machine, when all you need is tor and some
> firefox extensions?

The idea is to prevent any unknown security breeches from compromising
your anonymity.  If, say, Firefox has a zero day exploit that will,
even with Torbutton, leak the saved sites, usernames, and passwords to
a script (this is unlikely, but an example) they having an entirely
separate Firefox installation would save your anonymity.  The same
idea applies outwards to the operating system.

Kasimir

--
Kasimir Gabert