tor controller hangs / doesn't reply

Hello All
I use the TorExample.py with slight modification to suit my purpose to access the tor control service. However I see it hang often and there is no response from the tor control service. I am not sure what could possibly be the problem . Its quite non-deterministic . There is no fixed pattern or occurrences which cause the server to stop responding. However the situation corresponds to no data being transferred through a TCP stream using the Tor circuit to which it is assigned. A 'wget' session which uses Tor to perform the download shows no throughput in the throughput indicator.

Thanks
Sambuddho