Re: eliminating bogus port 43 exits

     On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 00:44:19 -0700 Kyle Williams <kyle.kwilliams@xxxxxxxxx>
top-posted:

     Please stop doing that.  It is terribly rude.

>Got a couple of questions.
>
>- Have you looked deeper into the request for port 43, using tcpdump or
>Wireshark?

     No, of course not!

>- Do you KNOW that it is a WHOIS request, not OpenVPN or something else
>running on the WHOIS port?

     I have not regarded that as an important issue.  Please see

>- Have you logged what IP's are being connected to?

     Absolutely not!  Please either justify your insults or else refrain from
further aspersions.

>I just curious, as this seems to be really odd to me that so many WHOIS
>request are going through Tor.

     That was my reaction as well and part of the reason I posted the earlier
round of exit statistics.  As I mentioned before, the responses I received
prompted the change in exit policy and now the posting of relevant results
from the change.

>I'm almost curious enough to run a exit node now just to see what might be
>going on.

     I hope you have more scruples with regard to such action than you have
apparently assumed that I might have.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG