Re: jurisdictional concentration of authorities

Scríobh Martin Fick:

But, just for grinns, how would ICANN go about attacking
an individual host anyway?  Surely they cannot revoke my
personal IP, could they?  My ISP owns that now, not ICANN,
right?  For them to revoke the block that my ISP owns, it
would be a major time consuming task wouldn't it?  That
would mean that while they may be targeting me individually,
they would have to be attacking many others, including my
ISP inadvertently.  Surely, by the time the attack were
successful (years presumably?) I would have simply opened another account with another ISP, perhaps even in another
country and gotten my self another IP, no?

Accurate enough. ICANN may have the clout to eventually get a given IP allocation's recipient to act to suppress traffic from a specific IP, but ICANN doesn't directly have the ability to cause one IP address out of an RIR allocation to go dark.

From a BGP standpoint, it doesn't work on the global BGP tables for everyone to try to do that anyway. Many of the tier1 providers and their customers filter announcements more precise than /24.