Ping times with Tor running

All,

The answer to this may be "yeah, duh.", just thought I'd ask :). I've got a residential cable connection where I am guaranteed 22mbit down, 5mbit up. My Tor relay BandwithRate is 1000 KB bursting up to 2000 KB.

While Tor is running, incoming and outgoing pings to the nearest hop goes from ~15ms to ~300+ms. This is very obvious when browsing.

Is this expected or do you think it's poor performance by either my ISP or cable modem at accepting many connections?

Thanks,
Kris