Re: Server Setup

On Tue, Jun 08, 2010 at 07:51:33AM +0100, Andy Dixon wrote:
> I'm trying to set up a pretty decent server on our 50 meg leased line
> and I am having difficulty in doing it.
>
> We have a bunch of IP addresses and we have to use port forwarding to
> rote it to an internal IP address.
>
> I have done that bit, (Both TCP and UDP), however the logs are showing:
>
> Jun 08 07:49:38.166 [warn] Your server has not managed to confirm that
> its DirPort is reachable. Please check your firewalls, ports,
> address, /etc/hosts file, etc.
>
> I have set in the configuration file the public IP address, and not the
> internal IP address.
>
> Any outbound traffic ends up going through a different public IP
> address.

There are three torrc options you want to look at:

"Address" is the IP address that your relay publishes to the outside
world. That will be the address that other clients use to reach you,
and it will also be the address that your Tor relay uses to check its
own reachability.

"OutboundBindAddress" tells your Tor which IP address to bind for
connections that it launches. It's useful for your case where (I think)
you have more than one outgoing route and a different IP address for
each outgoing route.

Optionally, "ORListenAddress" will tell your Tor to only bind to specific
IP addresses for incoming connections. You can do this if you *don't*
want to listen on some of your addresses; but its default of 0.0.0.0
should work fine.

Btw, you don't need to port-forward incoming UDP.

Hope that helps,
--Roger