Re: issues with running a Tor relay

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 03:44:43PM -0400, Sambuddho Chakravarty wrote:
>  I am running a Tor relay and have set the "RelayBandwidthRate" to 40 MBytes
> and "RelayBandwidthBurst" to 60 MBytes. However the Tor status page only
> lists it to be 122 Kbytes/sec.

Which Tor status page? There are a bunch and they present status
differently.

> I don't understand what is the reason for
> this discrepancy ?

Depends on the page. My guess is that you're using one of the torstatus
pages running trunk, and they are presenting to you the average number
of bytes your relay has actually pushed. This is a nicer way to rank
relays by bandwidth than just picking some number that they claim.

My second guess is that 122KB is the number published in the consensus for
your relay, meaning that's the median vote by the bandwidth measurement
authorities about how fast your relay actually is in practice. See
proposal 161.

> Does the Tor software restrict me from advertising a
> certain bandwidth ? If so , why is that being done ? Can I not advertise
> higher bandwidth if I have available bandwidth to spare ?

--Roger