Re: [tor-talk] EFF Tor Challenge

On Thursday 2 June, 2011 14:50:44 Martin Fick wrote:
> --- On Thu, 6/2/11, CACook@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <CACook@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > For those interested, so far my best idea is running the
> > daemon in a VirtualBox VM running SELinux as guest, and
> > bridged to the outside.  This should substantially
> > solve most problems except membership in the local
> > LAN.
>
> I don't think that this would make for a best practice,
> I think that a linux lxc should be encouraged instead,
> it is way more efficient.

I looked at containers in depth.  They are simply not secure.

On Thursday 2 June, 2011 14:50:44 Martin Fick wrote:
> As fir isolation, I think that a best practice
> should use iptable rules.  But if you want to
> go the cheap hardware route, buy a $5/15 nic
> and add it to your box and plug that nic into
> your modem's DMZ port, most of them have one.

Goes without saying (although I should have said it), iptables for sure, blocking everything in and out except what is absolutely needed.  I use a fine firewall called Shorewall, developed a couple blocks away from me actually.

Most ppl have consumer-grade routers;  no DMZ port.  Wish there was...