Re: [tor-talk] When to use and not to use tor.

I'm not a guru in this dept - only what I've read. Reason usually given not to use Tor for Banking is because the Tor exit node has to send unencrypted data to your target site (like bank PWs). Unless your communication w/ that site was somehow encrypted (& a login PW wouldn't be). A malicious exit node operator could sniff the packets coming thru the relay.

Just visiting a site where you're not required to enter private data doesn't allow a malicious exit node operator (or anyone else) to capture private data. In the case of banking, instead of just making a direct connection between you & the bank https (using SSL / TLS), using Tor is introducing an "unknown" 3rd party. That's basically why.

Same thing w/ unencrypted email. An exit node could intercept it (though by far, most don't), but if it's really confidential info, don't send unencrypted email thru Tor. If it's that confidential, you might out to encrypt email anyway. There are services (like Hush Mail) - for max privacy, I'd opt to install their software vs doing everything on their servers.

Also a Firefox addon, Enigmail that allows using open PGP (GNU PG) encryption in a client like Thunderbird. Haven't used it, but been thinking of checking it out.