Re: [tor-talk] Non-free country law preventing Tor from getting donations

On 6/14/2014 2:21 AM, Sebastian G. <bastik.tor> wrote:
Andrew wrote:
# Highlights
(...)
  - Looked into legality of receiving a large financial donation from a
country on the US Treasury embargoed list. Unsurprisingly, we cannot
accept such a donation due to the source.
That has to be a violation of your rights.

Whatever country gives you money in form of an donation should be
perfectly fine. You are not doing business with them, they give you the
money an that's it. (Otherwise it wouldn't be a donation. If I demand
something specific for the money it is no longer a donation, it becomes
sponsorship or a business relationship.)
It totally depends on how laws are worded, concerning any & all interactions with embargoed countries. Maybe there's a clause that covers actions like this. I'm not a legal or embargo rules expert, but I wonder if an embargoed country or individuals in it, giving money to a non-profit for which they receive nothing valuable, or that benefits the country financially, militarily or politically, actually violates the spirit of embargo laws.

I'm not sure the intent of embargo laws is to stifle free speech or access to information outside of a repressive gov't.