[tor-talk] Report of Pervasive Active MiTM Attack Against Hidden Services

Has anybody responded to this claim yet?
http://s7kgnncq3zbe3yza.onion/windex.shtml#mitm

I don't understand how such an attack would be possible without decrypting
the traffic, unless this is actually a phishing-and-proxy attack and not a
"true" MiTM. (How would an MiTM be able to manipulate traffic from a hidden
service without decrypting the contents? I was under the impression that
http request to hidden services should be end to end encrypted.)

Either way, still worth taking note of.

via Onion Soup:

 *05/03/14 - 06/26/14 *

> [...]
>

> * $HTTP["cookie"] =~ "PHPSESSID" { url.access-deny = ( "" ) } *
> *However, the first cookie makes it through; that is, on the first pass, a
> browser can access the fake site, but a subsequent hit on any page of the
> fake site is blocked, and a "403 - Forbidden" error thrown up. To force a
> 403 immediately*
>
> *after the first page loads, the webpage can be refreshed to a new page. *
>
> *Update: the cloner no longer sends the PHPSESSID cookie. An NID (session)
> cookie is currently (06/26/14) being transmitted. [1
> <http://s7kgnncq3zbe3yza.onion/windex.shtml#cook>] To block it, use the
> following rule, or - to thwart his future, cookie plans use the more
> generalized path rule [2 <http://s7kgnncq3zbe3yza.onion/windex.shtml#path>]
> - along with refreshing the page: *
>

> * $HTTP["cookie"] =~ "NID" { url.access-deny = ( "" ) } *
>
> * Copy index.html to sindex.html. Place the following between the <head>
> and </head> of index.html. *
>
> * <meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0; url=sindex.html"> *
>
> * Finally, the attacker's script cannot parse ascii code. The first (or
> any other) letter of a site's hostname can be substituted for - by its
> ascii equivalent <http://www.asciitable.com>. The warning notice should
> consist of ascii code and text (which is rendered by the browser as text).
> To warn visitors of a site that connection hi-jacking attempts abound on
> the darknet and to identify your site as the original, a warning -
> containing something to the effect below and anchored to the head of the
> index page - should be adopted; The cloner cannot alter ascii on-the-fly,
> and anyone visiting the fake site can detect the hi-jacked connection - by
> merely inspecting the warning. *
>
> *WARNING: connection hi-jacking attacks are rampant in onionland. This
> site's hostname is s7kgnncq3zbe3yza.onion. Look at the navigation bar. If
> you see any other hostname, leave immediately! *
>

> *notes * *(1) Here's what Chrome reports about the NID cookie: *
>

> * Name: NID Content: jcf27o21sdhok7fga77g0cmk42 Domain:
> 42w2zwtwxqbhexsm.onion Path: / Send for: Any kind of connection Accessible
> to script: Yes Created: Friday, June 27, 2014 3:03:04 AM Expires: When the
> browsing session ends *
>
> * The Lighttpd rule blocks the cookie. The "Expires:" line explains why a
> 403 is thrown up when a page is loaded and refreshed (or any other page on
> the site is visited) - AFTER the browser is closed and re-opened. Below is
> the header from the cloner's most recent arrangement. Notice: the different
> Server, cookie and Location. *
>

> * Connection to 42w2zwtwxqbhexsm.onion 80 port [tcp/www] succeeded! *
>
> * HTTP/1.1 302 Moved Temporarily *
>
> *Server: nginx *
>
> * Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2014 07:57:04 GMT *

> * Connection: close *
>
> *Set-Cookie: NID=h3fr5ohquqdqnnnmcgjhuhdfd6; path=/ *
>
> * Expires: Thu, 19 Nov 1981 08:52:00 GMT *
>
> * Cache-Control: no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate, post-check=0,

*(2) The alternate (more generalized) blocking rule matches a different