Re: [tor-talk] Exit nodes generating HTTPS traffic to HTTP ports

On 06/17/2016 03:39 PM, Florian Weimer wrote:
> Is there a constellation of bugs which recently conspired in such a
> way that a web server might receive a flood of HTTPS requests on port
> 80/TCP instead of 443/TCP?

It is only a convention (common practice) that HTTPS listens on port
443.  A webserver with SSL can be configured to listen on any port, such
as 80.  Some sites do this on purpose because 443 is blocked by some
clients' outgoing firewalls.

> I've seen a report about an alleged DoS attack from originating from
> exit nodes, and I'm wondering if a bug and sudden interest from Tor in
> that website could explain the anomaly.

Don't know anything about that.