Re: [tor-talk] Which reputable webmail providers function well with Tor?

On 5/25/2016 2:55 PM, blobby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Can anyone suggest a reputable webmail provider that is not totally
anti-Tor.

Cock.li and Sigaint and Unseen.is and Mail2Tor are out as the names look
weird to "normal" people.
Unseen.is - is "weird" to people? What's so weird? I've used it almost since they moved to Iceland (though mostly not a Tor acct). Never had a soul comment on the domain in the least. Not sure about Sigiant - how do they pronounce it? Is it See-zjant or see-gant or see-ji'-unt?
ProtonMail demands SMS validation.
They do? If they demand SMS, how does it remain anonymous, unless you buy a burner phone (don't even know how those work, anymore)? "they will accept bitcoin or even cash payments to allow users to remain anonymous."
http://www.forbes.com/sites/hollieslade/2014/05/19/the-only-email-system-the-nsa-cant-access/#3b6834d355ed
RiseUp requires an invitation.

Used to, you could submit request to riseup - stating why you wanted to use it. It's been suggested, don't get to get too radical / political in your statements, but I don't know.

The website www.thesimplecomputer.info ran a long list of "alternative" email providers, but I don't see it on the site. I did an update on that list, which I posted here, then "Simple Computer" did some more updating after we spoke.

He wrote about Riseup.net (a while back, so may have changed):
"With Riseup, you donât just whimsically create an account like with most other email services. You must instead request an account, or know two people already with Riseup accounts who can send you invitation codes.

Riseup gives you the choice of SquirrelMail <http://squirrelmail.org/> or Horde IMP 3 <http://www.horde.org/apps/imp> for a webmail interface (the screenshot is IMP) and with IMP, you get PGP messaging through the webmail. You can create up to a 2048 bit PGP keypair or import an existing one. Riseup also gives you an on-screen keyboard for login, DKIM <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dkim> signatures and even VPN access. IP addresses are gone in both webmail and SMTP, as are the mail clientâs user agent and all connections support perfect forward secrecy <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfect_forward_secrecy>.

Yes, Riseup has strong political overtones to its website literature and Iâve read responses from people being denied an account after describing their political beliefs in the request info. Whether that was direct cause for their request denial, I donât know. What you choose to write is up to you however, Iâll say that when requesting this account, I made no political references or affiliations whatsoever. Donât feel that you must do so. Your mileage may vary."