Re: [tor-talk] "But he does good work." *Appelbaum*

Zenaan Harkness:
>> thomas.hluchnik@xxxxxxxxxxxxx:
>>> You have. You might consider that intelligent services have
>>> large amounts of resources. If this is a planned attack from a
>>> group of interested people, they are able to do so.
>>
>> so they are all government agents/assets then in a grand
>> conspiracy against one person?
>
> "all"?!! Please!
>
> Classic dichotomy thinking! "It must be saintliness or abject
> evil."

no. it's a logical response to a fallacy. "these people could all be
part of a planned attack from a shadowy group of interested people."
it's classic fed jacketing which, unfortunately, is an all too common
response that need not be humored in such circumstances.

>>> Wrong. We have a legal system and a generic rule: someone has
>>> to be assumed not guilty until the opposite is proofed.
>>
>> that rule only applies in a court of law.
>
> You apply the rules you choose to apply, in your own mind! You are
> binding yourself/ your conversation to an unnecessarily extreme
> legal think.

there is no reason to split up and parse my statement. another common
fallacy that is employed against people who speak up, or listen to
those who speak up, is "you have found x guilty before he has been
proven as such and, thus, are violating x's due process rights." if
you use the legal term of "due process," then my initial response is
absolutely on point. "that rule only applies in a court of law. if you
steal from me and are never taken to court, it's not a violation of
"due process" if i call you a thief, nor is it defamation."

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Due+Process+of+Law

therefore, when a direct implication of a legal term used in a fallacy
that references the finding of guilt, such a fallacy should not be
tolerated in the context, since this list is not a court of law.

- --
gpg key - 0x2A49578A7291BB34
fingerprint - 63C4 E106 AC6A 5F2F DDB2 3840 2A49 578A 7291 BB34