Re: [tor-talk] Question for those who say "Tor is pwned"

On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 07:39:22PM +0200, carlo von lynX wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 12:48:38PM -0400, Paul Syverson wrote:
> > Well there's things like alpha-mixing (better tau-mixing) as that
>
> Yes, alpha-mixing would be a great step forward I guess.
> Would you say the things I wrote on http://secushare.org/anonymity
> regarding not building future work on Tor are accurate?
> I wouldn't like to be stating anything stupid in there.

Not sure if accurate is an applicable notion here. I remain hopeful
but dubious about anything that just assumes p2p automatically must be
better for safety and privacy vs. client/server in the long run.
One reason is discussed in section 2.4 of
"Bridging and Fingerprinting: Epistemic Attacks on Route Selection"
http://www.freehaven.net/anonbib/cache/danezis-pet2008.pdf
For me this remains an open hard area that I continue to focus on.

And people who know me will tell you that I always say, "Dare to be
stupid."  It's very hard to make any decent contributions if you are
too afraid of looking dumb.

aloha,
Paul