Re: [tor-talk] Tor is anti-censorship software

Seriously? I spent some time trying to parse Juan's various messages yesterday to try to understand his point of view ... if you remove all of the insults and snide remarks the only concrete position I could discern was that he was legit upset over the marketing/PR approach of the Tor project. He wants the Tor project to do better messaging to make it clear that Tor can't protect anyone who may be facing an adversary with nation-state levels of technical resources. He feels strongly that the project should not advertise or promise "anonymity" given that it's pretty clear now that someone with significant resources and technical assets can de-cloak individual Tor users who catch their attention.

I actually sort of agree with that argument but sadly it was lost amidst a deluge of venomous words - the same sort of aggressive "you are all just useful idiots of the DOD/NSA" word salad stuff that causes people to hit the delete key right away. And 100% a contribution to worsening signal-to-noise ratio on this list.

Beyond suggesting that the project do better PR/Marketing about the real levels of privacy/anonymity offered I can't think of any other useful point raised. Everything else was just a rehash of what you hear from people who think the projects origin, backers and developers make it unsuitable for use by anyone at any time. Not new and not interesting at all.

My $.02 of course

Spencer wrote:

Juan's comments, in particular, have been most valuable in pointing out the network's shortcomings in this area.