Re: [tor-talk] Reminder to stay on-topic

> Rules or policies should be enforced equally in an unbiased way. Even
> moderated forums allow certain "unpermitted" discussions while deleting
> / closing others immediately.

As much as I (and presumably everyone else) was getting sick of updates
on the topic coming into my inbox, there's definitely an argument, given
the position Jacob held, that it is/was at the very least Tor Project
related - so tangentially on topic, And as noted, there are plenty of
other discussions in the past that have wandered far, far off course.

But, for my 2 cents, it's some of the bans I have an issue with. Even if
we agree that the stuff related to Jacob was off-topic, for me
personally, it still doesn't sit right.

ja.talk was spamming the list with reposts - sure, chuck them a ban.

But some of those responding (described as "ludicrous rape
apologetics".... nice, classy....) were responding to say they felt the
evidence doesn't weigh up. It's an emotive topic for many, so of course
people are going to respond to repeated posts that colour someone elses
character - especially early on when the evidence was best described as
anecdotal and flimsy, and particularly if they happen to know the guy
and believe (for whatever reason) that the allegations are false.

Put it another way, regardless of forum, if you saw someone you knew
being (to your mind) libelled and labelled a rapist, would you sit back
or would you respond? IMO a warning would have sufficed - assuming there
isn't other stuff that's happened in the background

At the end of the day though it's the Tor Project's call. I'm not going
to miss the JA related threads, though I may miss some of the input of
some of those who've been banned.