Re: [tor-talk] Tor and PCP (Port Control Protocol)

On Mon, Jun 5, 2017 at 9:53 PM, Anders Andersson <pipatron@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Since my ISP implements carrier-grade NAT[1] (with an opt-out system)
> I read a little about it and found something called the "Port Control
> Protocol"[2] (PCP). Unless I am mistaken, and *if* my ISP implements
> it, it seems that it could enable me to run a Tor relay on one of the
> shared IP numbers.
>
> From what I understand it would make it possible for me to send a
> message to my ISPs router saying something like "I want an external
> port bound to this ip:port on my network", and it would either assign
> a port on the external IP and return it to me, or deny the request. If
> accepted, I could have my Tor announce that external ip:port and
> everything should work as expected.
>
> Now, before I dig in to this, I wonder if someone else has experience
> with it? Any flaws with this hypothetical setup?
>
> [1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier-grade_NAT
> [2]:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Control_Protocol

The tor-relays list might have operators who've done that before....

They might also cover...
- ISP might not like having it's multi-subscriber shared
external IP added to blocklists (can happen with non exits too,
ie: ability to surf or use paid services might get weird).
- Warnings about [in]sanity of running exit relays from home.

Have fun with your project :)