Re: [tor-talk] Tor's work

Dear Seth Schoen:

Thank you very much for your extremely appreciated answer:

It seems that you were the most person who got what I'm looking for.
To be honest I'm doing my best to find away to figure out how to achieve my
goal to show student how TOR works as I explained in my last email to you.

I'm using Shadow as network simulator it is running tor as a plugin
attached to Shadow but I couldn't change the tor clients code to log the
information which I need.

Can you please help me step by step (back and forth between us) to do
something deliverable??

*Note ::: my previous email was the following:*

*I'm a master student and doing some researches on TOR . I'm using shadow
simulator; not real tor network; my goal is only to run an experiment and
from the output of that experiment I can confess my students that Tor
really :*

* 1-  How the onion circuit was selected. ( or to figure out what was the
circuit selected)*

* 2-  Can keep the traffic anonymous.(at least through Tor onion circuit)*

* 3-  All handshakes done at each node on the circuit from entry node till
exit. (e.g encryption and decryption keys used on handshake at each node
including the directory         authority server as well).*

* 4-  If there is away to show student that at each circuit nodes only the
successor and predecessor addresses not the original source or final
destination of the request.*

*and your reply was :*

> * It seems to me that one useful possibility is to modify the Tor client
> so that it outputs logs of the decisions it makes and the actions it takes,
> as well as, maybe, the cryptographic secrets that it uses.  For example,
> your modified Tor client could print out how it chose a path, and the
> actions that it took to build the path, and the actual encryption keys that
> it used in communicating with the nodes along the path. You could then also
> use a packet sniffer (or some mechanism for packet capture if your network
> is totally virtual) to examine the actual traffic in your simulated
> network, and, for example, to decrypt it using the keys that were logged by
> the modified client, showing exactly what information can be seen by
> someone in possession of each secret key, and conversely which keys are
> necessary in order to learn which information. -- Seth Schoen
> <schoen@xxxxxxx <schoen@xxxxxxx>> Senior Staff Technologist
>        https://www.eff.org/ <https://www.eff.org/> Electronic Frontier
> Foundation                  https://www.eff.org/join
> <https://www.eff.org/join> 815 Eddy Street, San Francisco, CA  94109
>  +1 415 436 9333 x107 <%2B1%20415%20436%209333%20x107>*

Thanks ,
Suhaib Mbarak