Re: [tor-talk] Surge in Users

On Friday, June 7, 2019 at 3:01 PM, iwanlegit@xxxxxxx wrote:

Can Directory Authorities analyze hostnames of relay users and publish
them?

If the hostnames or organization names associated with the users are
available, we could know what type of users are increasing, and probably we could guess why. In Iran and Russia, are the increases being made by
individuals, companies, and/or governments? I want to know that.

https://metrics.torproject.org/reproducible-metrics.html#relay-users
Directory Authorities (DAs) can see IP addresses of relay users and are reporting countries associated with the addresses for torproject. So DAs
may be under control of torproject. Can torproject let DAs report
hostnames of the users? Should rapid increases of the users be clear for
Tor overall? I would like torproject to decide to do that!

But if torproject can let DAs report them, I won't be able to use Tor
with security. Even now, can DAs collect our personal information
including IP addresses and leak them in theory? :D
Of course it is possible for Directory Authorities to collect the IPs of
connecting clients and publish them.
Yet they could only do it once because they
would lose the trust of their users for ever. ;)

So there have to be other ways to guess what type of new users
use the network.