Re: [tor-talk] Can't perform self-tests for this relay: we have listed ourself in ExcludeNodes, and StrictNodes is set. We cannot learn whether we are usable, and will not be able to advertise ourself.

On 6/28/21 13:31, Udo van den Heuvel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I guess since updating to tor-0.4.6.5-0.fc34.x86_64 I get a load of
> messages like in the subject, even though my IP is not in ExcludeNodes
> and even though I did not change the config for a few weeks at least.
>
> What is the issue here? (not blatant misconfiguration I guess)

A few responses that don't answer your question:

- You know people can use your relay to build nearly any circuit they
want, right? The Exclude*Nodes options don't affect that. It says so in
the man page under ExcludeNodes.

- The Exclude*Nodes settings only apply when your Tor builds a circuit
for its own purposes, which includes self-testing apparently.

- This looks like a very confused torrc. Do you want to be a client,
thus the Exclude*Nodes, StrictNodes, LongLivedPorts options make sense?
Do you want to be a bridge, thus the ServerTransport*, ExtORPort options
make sense? Do you want to be an exit, thus the Bandwidth, Accounting,
and omitted ExitPolicy options make sense?

- Please set a real ContactInfo.

- What in the world are you trying to accomplish with the long list of
relays to exclude?

The responses that do try to answer your question:

- I'm guessing that you have a new GeoIP database that either thinks
your relay is in one of the excluded countries or doesn't know where it
is (thus it matches {??}).

- Or you don't have a GeoIP database (anymore?). Thus both
GeoIPExcludeUnknown AND {??} in the ExcludeNodes lists cause the problem.