From: Geoffrey Goodell [mailto:goodell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, March 07, 2005 2:15 PM
To: renaud
Cc: tor-bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: proxy testing

On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 11:10:27PM -0800, renaud wrote:
> Hello Tor,
>
> I tried the privoxy and when testing on the junkbusters address, I am
> still seeing my own IP address. after following your installation
menu:
> http://tor.eff.org/cvs/tor/doc/tor-doc-win32.html
>
> If it worked properly I wouldn't see my own ip address, am I wrong?
>
> Thanks

First, verify that your privoxy config contains this line:

forward-socks4a / localhost:9050 .

(do not forget the dot!)

(or whatever your Tor SocksPort is if it is not 9050.)

When you have verified this, please visit this page and check what it
says for REMOTE_ADDR and REMOTE_HOST.

http://serifos.eecs.harvard.edu:8000/cgi-bin/ipaddr.pl

Those fields should correspond to a Tor node.

Geoff

forward-socks4a / localhost:9050 .

Sample Configuration File for Privoxy v3.0.x
#
#  Copyright (C) 2001-2004 Privoxy Developers http://privoxy.org
#
#  $Id: config,v 1.39.2.13 2004/01/29 12:56:03 oes Exp $
#
#                                                                  #
#                      Table of Contents                           #
#                                                                  #
#        I. INTRODUCTION                                           #
#       II. FORMAT OF THE CONFIGURATION FILE                       #
#                                                                  #
#        1. CONFIGURATION AND LOG FILE LOCATIONS                   #
#        2. LOCAL SET-UP DOCUMENTATION                             #
#        3. DEBUGGING                                              #
#        4. ACCESS CONTROL AND SECURITY                            #
#        5. FORWARDING                                             #
#        6. WINDOWS GUI OPTIONS                                    #
#                                                                  #
#
#
#  I. INTRODUCTION
#   ===============
#
#  This file holds the Privoxy configuration. If you modify this file,
#  you will need to send a couple of requests to the proxy before any
#  changes take effect.
#
#  When starting Privoxy on Unix systems, give the name of this file as
#  an argument. On Windows systems, Privoxy will look for this file
#  with the name 'config.txt' in the same directory where Privoxy
#  is installed.
#
#
#  II. FORMAT OF THE CONFIGURATION FILE
#  ====================================
#
#  Configuration lines consist of an initial keyword followed by a
#  list of values, all separated by whitespace (any number of spaces
#  or tabs). For example,
#
#  actionsfile default.action
#
#  Indicates that the actionsfile is named 'default.action'.
#
#  The '#' indicates a comment. Any part of a line following a '#'
#  is ignored, except if the '#' is preceded by a '\'.
#
#  Thus, by placing a # at the start of an existing configuration line,
#  you can make it a comment and it will be treated as if it weren't
#  there. This is called "commenting out" an option and can be useful.
#
#  Note that commenting out and option and leaving it at its default
#  are two completely different things! Most options behave very
#  differently when unset.  See the the "Effect if unset" explanation
#  in each option's description for details.
#
#  Long lines can be continued on the next line by using a `\' as the
#  last character.
#

#
#  1. CONFIGURATION AND LOG FILE LOCATIONS
#  =======================================
#
#  Privoxy can (and normally does) use a number of other files for
#  additional configuration, help and logging. This section of the
#  configuration file tells Privoxy where to find those other files.
#
#  The user running Privoxy, must have read permission for all
#  configuration files, and write permission to any files that would
#  be modified, such as log files and actions files.
#

#
#  1.1. confdir
#  ============
#
#  Specifies:
#
#      The directory where the other configuration files are located
#
#  Type of value:
#
#      Path name
#
#  Default value:
#
#      /etc/privoxy (Unix) or Privoxy installation dir (Windows)
#
#  Effect if unset:
#
#      Mandatory
#
#  Notes:
#
#      No trailing "/", please
#
#      When development goes modular and multi-user, the blocker,
#      filter, and per-user config will be stored in subdirectories of
#      "confdir". For now, the configuration directory structure is
#      flat, except for confdir/templates, where the HTML templates
#      for CGI output reside (e.g. Privoxy's 404 error page).
#
confdir .

#
#  1.2. logdir
#  ===========
#
#  Specifies:
#
#      The directory where all logging takes place (i.e. where logfile
#      and jarfile are located)
#
#  Type of value:
#
#      Path name
#
#  Default value:
#
#      /var/log/privoxy (Unix) or Privoxy installation dir (Windows)
#
#  Effect if unset:
#
#      Mandatory
#
#  Notes:
#
#      No trailing "/", please
#
logdir .

#
#  1.3. actionsfile
#  ================
#
#  Specifies:
#
#      The actions file(s) to use
#
#  Type of value:
#
#      File name, relative to confdir, without the .action suffix
#
#  Default values:
#
#        standard     # Internal purposes, no editing recommended
#
#        default      # Main actions file
#
#        user         # User customizations
#
#  Effect if unset:
#
#      No actions are taken at all. Simple neutral proxying.
#
#  Notes:
#
#      Multiple actionsfile lines are permitted, and are in fact
#      recommended!
#
#      The default values include standard.action, which is used
#      for internal purposes and should be loaded, default.action,
#      which is the "main" actions file maintained by the developers,
#      and user.action, where you can make your personal additions.
#
#      Actions files are where all the per site and per URL
#      configuration is done for ad blocking, cookie management,
#      privacy considerations, etc. There is no point in using Privoxy
#      without at least one actions file.
#
actionsfile standard  # Internal purpose, recommended
actionsfile default   # Main actions file
actionsfile user      # User customizations

#
#  1.4. filterfile
#  ===============
#
#  Specifies:
#
#      The filter file to use
#
#  Type of value:
#
#      File name, relative to confdir
#
#  Default value:
#
#      default.filter (Unix) or default.filter.txt (Windows)
#
#  Effect if unset:
#
#      No textual content filtering takes place, i.e. all +filter{name}
#      actions in the actions files are turned neutral.
#
#  Notes:
#
#      The filter file contains content modification rules that use
#      regular expressions. These rules permit powerful changes on the
#      content of Web pages, e.g., you could disable your favorite
#      JavaScript annoyances, re-write the actual displayed text,
#      or just have some fun replacing "Microsoft" with "MicroSuck"
#      wherever it appears on a Web page.
#
#      The +filter{name} actions rely on the relevant filter (name)
#      to be defined in the filter file!
#
#      A pre-defined filter file called default.filter that contains
#      a bunch of handy filters for common problems is included in the
#      distribution. See the section on the filter action for a list.
#
filterfile default.filter

#
#  1.5. logfile
#  ============
#
#  Specifies:
#
#      The log file to use
#
#  Type of value:
#
#      File name, relative to logdir
#
#  Default value:
#
#      logfile (Unix) or privoxy.log (Windows)
#
#  Effect if unset:
#
#      No log file is used, all log messages go to the console (STDERR).
#
#  Notes:
#
#      The windows version will additionally log to the console.
#
#      The logfile is where all logging and error messages are
#      written. The level of detail and number of messages are set with
#      the debug option (see below).  The logfile can be useful for
#      tracking down a problem with Privoxy (e.g., it's not blocking
#      an ad you think it should block) but in most cases you probably
#      will never look at it.
#
#      Your logfile will grow indefinitely, and you will probably
#      want to periodically remove it. On Unix systems, you can do
#      this with a cron job (see "man cron"). For Red Hat, a logrotate
#      script has been included.
#
#      On SuSE Linux systems, you can place a line like
#      "/var/log/privoxy.* +1024k 644 nobody.nogroup" in /etc/logfiles,
#      with the effect that cron.daily will automatically archive,
#      gzip, and empty the log, when it exceeds 1M size.
#
#      Any log files must be writable by whatever user Privoxy is
#      being run as (default on UNIX, user id is "privoxy").
#
logfile privoxy.log

#
#  1.6. jarfile
#  ============
#
#  Specifies:
#
#      The file to store intercepted cookies in
#
#  Type of value:
#
#      File name, relative to logdir
#
#  Default value:
#
#      jarfile (Unix) or privoxy.jar (Windows)
#
#  Effect if unset:
#
#      Intercepted cookies are not stored at all.
#
#  Notes:
#
#      The jarfile may grow to ridiculous sizes over time.
#
jarfile jar.log

#
#  1.7. trustfile
#  ==============
#
#  Specifies:
#
#      The trust file to use
#
#  Type of value:
#
#      File name, relative to confdir
#
#  Default value:
#
#      Unset (commented out). When activated: trust (Unix) or trust.txt
#      (Windows)
#
#  Effect if unset:
#
#      The entire trust mechanism is turned off.
#
#  Notes:
#
#      The trust mechanism is an experimental feature for building
#      white-lists and should be used with care. It is NOT recommended
#      for the casual user.
#
#      If you specify a trust file, Privoxy will only allow access to
#      sites that are specified in the trustfile. Sites can be listed
#      in one of two ways:
#
#      Prepending a ~ character limits access to this site only (and
#      any sub-paths within this site), e.g. ~www.example.com.
#
#      Or, you can designate sites as trusted referrers, by prepending
#      the name with a + character. The effect is that access to
#      untrusted sites will be granted -- but only if a link from this
#      trusted referrer was used. The link target will then be added
#      to the "trustfile" so that future, direct accesses will be
#      granted. Sites added via this mechanism do not become trusted
#      referrers themselves (i.e. they are added with a ~ designation).
#
#      If you use the + operator in the trust file, it may grow
#      considerably over time.
#
#      It is recommended that Privoxy be compiled with the
#      --disable-force, --disable-toggle and --disable-editor options,
#      if this feature is to be used.
#
#      Possible applications include limiting Internet access for
#      children.
#
#trustfile trust

#
#  2. LOCAL SET-UP DOCUMENTATION
#  =============================
#
#  If you intend to operate Privoxy for more users than just yourself,
#  it might be a good idea to let them know how to reach you, what
#  you block and why you do that, your policies, etc.
#

#
#  2.1. user-manual
#  ================
#
#  Specifies:
#
#      Location of the Privoxy User Manual.
#
#  Type of value:
#
#      A fully qualified URI
#
#  Default value:
#
#      Unset
#
#  Effect if unset:
#
#      http://www.privoxy.org/version/user-manual/ will be used,
#      where version is the Privoxy version.
#
#  Notes:
#
#      The User Manual URI is used for help links from some of the
#      internal CGI pages. The manual itself is normally packaged
#      with the binary distributions, so you probably want to set this
#      to a locally installed copy. For multi-user setups, you could
#      provide a copy on a local webserver for all your users and use
#      the corresponding URL here.
#
#      Examples:
#
#      Unix, in local filesystem:
#
#       user-manual file:///usr/share/doc/privoxy-3.0.1/user-manual/index.html
#
#      Windows, in local filesystem, must use forward slash notation,
#      and %20 to denote spaces in path names:
#
#       user-manual file:///c:/some%20dir/privoxy/user-manual/index.html
#
#      Windows, UNC notation (forward slashes required again):
#
#       user-manual file://///some-server/some-path/privoxy/user-manual/index.html
#
#      Any platform, on local webserver (called "local-webserver"):
#
#       user-manual  http://local-webserver/privoxy-user-manual/
#
#      WARNING!!!
#
#          If set, this option should be the first option in the config
#          file, because it is used while the config file is being read.
#
#user-manual http://www.privoxy.org/user-manual/

#
#  2.2. trust-info-url
#  ===================
#
#  Specifies:
#
#      A URL to be displayed in the error page that users will see if
#      access to an untrusted page is denied.
#
#  Type of value:
#
#      URL
#
#  Default value:
#
#      Two example URL are provided
#
#  Effect if unset:
#
#      No links are displayed on the "untrusted" error page.
#
#  Notes:
#
#      The value of this option only matters if the experimental trust
#      mechanism has been activated. (See trustfile above.)
#
#      If you use the trust mechanism, it is a good idea to write
#      up some on-line documentation about your trust policy and to
#      specify the URL(s) here. Use multiple times for multiple URLs.
#
#      The URL(s) should be added to the trustfile as well, so users
#      don't end up locked out from the information on why they were
#      locked out in the first place!
#
trust-info-url  http://www.example.com/why_we_block.html
trust-info-url  http://www.example.com/what_we_allow.html

#
#  2.3. admin-address
#  ==================
#
#  Specifies:
#
#      An email address to reach the proxy administrator.
#
#  Type of value:
#
#      Email address
#
#  Default value:
#
#      Unset
#
#  Effect if unset:
#
#      No email address is displayed on error pages and the CGI user
#      interface.
#
#  Notes:
#
#      If both admin-address and proxy-info-url are unset, the whole
#      "Local Privoxy Support" box on all generated pages will not
#      be shown.
#
#admin-address privoxy-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

#
#  2.4. proxy-info-url
#  ===================
#
#  Specifies:
#
#      A URL to documentation about the local Privoxy setup,
#      configuration or policies.
#
#  Type of value:
#
#      URL
#
#  Default value:
#
#      Unset
#
#  Effect if unset:
#
#      No link to local documentation is displayed on error pages and
#      the CGI user interface.
#
#  Notes:
#
#      If both admin-address and proxy-info-url are unset, the whole
#      "Local Privoxy Support" box on all generated pages will not
#      be shown.
#
#      This URL shouldn't be blocked ;-)
#
#proxy-info-url http://www.example.com/proxy-service.html

#
#  3. DEBUGGING
#  ============
#
#  These options are mainly useful when tracing a problem. Note that
#  you might also want to invoke Privoxy with the --no-daemon command
#  line option when debugging.
#

#
#  3.1. debug
#  ==========
#
#  Specifies:
#
#      Key values that determine what information gets logged to
#      the logfile.
#
#  Type of value:
#
#      Integer values
#
#  Default value:
#
#      12289 (i.e.: URLs plus informational and warning messages)
#
#  Effect if unset:
#
#      Nothing gets logged.
#
#  Notes:
#
#      The available debug levels are:
#
#          debug         1 # show each GET/POST/CONNECT request
#          debug         2 # show each connection status
#          debug         4 # show I/O status
#          debug         8 # show header parsing
#          debug        16 # log all data into the logfile
#          debug        32 # debug force feature
#          debug        64 # debug regular expression filter
#          debug       128 # debug fast redirects
#          debug       256 # debug GIF de-animation
#          debug       512 # Common Log Format
#          debug      1024 # debug kill pop-ups
#          debug      2048 # CGI user interface
#          debug      4096 # Startup banner and warnings.
#          debug      8192 # Non-fatal errors
#
#      To select multiple debug levels, you can either add them or
#      use multiple debug lines.
#
#      A debug level of 1 is informative because it will show you each
#      request as it happens. 1, 4096 and 8192 are highly recommended
#      so that you will notice when things go wrong. The other levels
#      are probably only of interest if you are hunting down a specific
#      problem. They can produce a hell of an output (especially 16).
#
#      The reporting of fatal errors (i.e. ones which crash Privoxy)
#      is always on and cannot be disabled.
#
#      If you want to use CLF (Common Log Format), you should set
#      "debug 512" ONLY and not enable anything else.
#
debug   1    # show each GET/POST/CONNECT request
debug   4096 # Startup banner and warnings
debug   8192 # Errors - *we highly recommended enabling this*

#
#  3.2. single-threaded
#  ====================
#
#  Specifies:
#
#      Whether to run only one server thread
#
#  Type of value:
#
#      None
#
#  Default value:
#
#      Unset
#
#  Effect if unset:
#
#      Multi-threaded (or, where unavailable: forked) operation,
#      i.e. the ability to serve multiple requests simultaneously.
#
#  Notes:
#
#      This option is only there for debug purposes and you should
#      never need to use it. It will drastically reduce performance.
#
#single-threaded

#
#  4. ACCESS CONTROL AND SECURITY
#  ==============================
#
#  This section of the config file controls the security-relevant
#  aspects of Privoxy's configuration.
#

#
#  4.1. listen-address
#  ===================
#
#  Specifies:
#
#      The IP address and TCP port on which Privoxy will listen for
#      client requests.
#
#  Type of value:
#
#      [IP-Address]:Port
#
#  Default value:
#
#      127.0.0.1:8118
#
#  Effect if unset:
#
#      Bind to 127.0.0.1 (localhost), port 8118. This is suitable and
#      recommended for home users who run Privoxy on the same machine
#      as their browser.
#
#  Notes:
#
#      You will need to configure your browser(s) to this proxy address
#      and port.
#
#      If you already have another service running on port 8118, or
#      if you want to serve requests from other machines (e.g. on your
#      local network) as well, you will need to override the default.
#
#      If you leave out the IP address, Privoxy will bind to all
#      interfaces (addresses) on your machine and may become reachable
#      from the Internet. In that case, consider using access control
#      lists (ACL's, see below), and/or a firewall.
#
#      If you open Privoxy to untrusted users, you will also want
#      to turn off the enable-edit-actions and enable-remote-toggle
#      options!
#
#  Example:
#
#      Suppose you are running Privoxy on a machine which has the
#      address 192.168.0.1 on your local private network (192.168.0.0)
#      and has another outside connection with a different address. You
#      want it to serve requests from inside only:
#
#        listen-address  192.168.0.1:8118
#
listen-address  127.0.0.1:8118

#
#  4.2. toggle
#  ===========
#
#  Specifies:
#
#      Initial state of "toggle" status
#
#  Type of value:
#
#      1 or 0
#
#  Default value:
#
#      1
#
#  Effect if unset:
#
#      Act as if toggled on
#
#  Notes:
#
#      If set to 0, Privoxy will start in "toggled off" mode,
#      i.e. behave like a normal, content-neutral proxy where all ad
#      blocking, filtering, etc are disabled. See enable-remote-toggle
#      below. This is not really useful anymore, since toggling is
#      much easier via the web interface than via editing the conf file.
#
#      The windows version will only display the toggle icon in the
#      system tray if this option is present.
#
toggle  1

#
#  4.3. enable-remote-toggle
#  =========================
#
#  Specifies:
#
#      Whether or not the web-based toggle feature may be used
#
#  Type of value:
#
#      0 or 1
#
#  Default value:
#
#      1
#
#  Effect if unset:
#
#      The web-based toggle feature is disabled.
#
#  Notes:
#
#      When toggled off, Privoxy acts like a normal, content-neutral
#      proxy, i.e.  it acts as if none of the actions applied to
#      any URL.
#
#      For the time being, access to the toggle feature can not be
#      controlled separately by "ACLs" or HTTP authentication, so that
#      everybody who can access Privoxy (see "ACLs" and listen-address
#      above) can toggle it for all users. So this option is not
#      recommended for multi-user environments with untrusted users.
#
#      Note that you must have compiled Privoxy with support for this
#      feature, otherwise this option has no effect.
#
enable-remote-toggle  1

#
#  4.4. enable-edit-actions
#  ========================
#
#  Specifies:
#
#      Whether or not the web-based actions file editor may be used
#
#  Type of value:
#
#      0 or 1
#
#  Default value:
#
#      1
#
#  Effect if unset:
#
#      The web-based actions file editor is disabled.
#
#  Notes:
#
#      For the time being, access to the editor can not be controlled
#      separately by "ACLs" or HTTP authentication, so that everybody
#      who can access Privoxy (see "ACLs" and listen-address above)
#      can modify its configuration for all users. So this option is
#      not recommended for multi-user environments with untrusted users.
#
#      Note that you must have compiled Privoxy with support for this
#      feature, otherwise this option has no effect.
#
enable-edit-actions 1

#
#  4.5. ACLs: permit-access and deny-access
#  ========================================
#
#  Specifies:
#
#      Who can access what.
#
#  Type of value:
#
#      src_addr[/src_masklen] [dst_addr[/dst_masklen]]
#
#      Where src_addr and dst_addr are IP addresses in dotted decimal
#      notation or valid DNS names, and src_masklen and dst_masklen are
#      subnet masks in CIDR notation, i.e. integer values from 2 to 30
#      representing the length (in bits) of the network address. The
#      masks and the whole destination part are optional.
#
#  Default value:
#
#      Unset
#
#  Effect if unset:
#
#      Don't restrict access further than implied by listen-address
#
#  Notes:
#
#      Access controls are included at the request of ISPs and systems
#      administrators, and are not usually needed by individual
#      users. For a typical home user, it will normally suffice to
#      ensure that Privoxy only listens on the localhost (127.0.0.1)
#      or internal (home) network address by means of the listen-address
#      option.
#
#      Please see the warnings in the FAQ that this proxy is not
#      intended to be a substitute for a firewall or to encourage
#      anyone to defer addressing basic security weaknesses.
#
#      Multiple ACL lines are OK. If any ACLs are specified, then
#      the Privoxy talks only to IP addresses that match at least one
#      permit-access line and don't match any subsequent deny-access
#      line. In other words, the last match wins, with the default
#      being deny-access.
#
#      If Privoxy is using a forwarder (see forward below) for a
#      particular destination URL, the dst_addr that is examined is
#      the address of the forwarder and NOT the address of the ultimate
#      target. This is necessary because it may be impossible for the
#      local Privoxy to determine the IP address of the ultimate target
#      (that's often what gateways are used for).
#
#      You should prefer using IP addresses over DNS names, because
#      the address lookups take time. All DNS names must resolve! You
#      can not use domain patterns like "*.org" or partial domain
#      names. If a DNS name resolves to multiple IP addresses, only
#      the first one is used.
#
#      Denying access to particular sites by ACL may have undesired
#      side effects if the site in question is hosted on a machine
#      which also hosts other sites.
#
#  Examples:
#
#      Explicitly define the default behavior if no ACL and
#      listen-address are set: "localhost" is OK. The absence of a
#      dst_addr implies that all destination addresses are OK:
#
#        permit-access  localhost
#
#      Allow any host on the same class C subnet as www.privoxy.org
#      access to nothing but www.example.com:
#
#        permit-access  www.privoxy.org/24 www.example.com/32
#
#      Allow access from any host on the 26-bit subnet 192.168.45.64
#      to anywhere, with the exception that 192.168.45.73 may not
#      access www.dirty-stuff.example.com:
#
#        permit-access  192.168.45.64/26
#        deny-access    192.168.45.73     www.dirty-stuff.example.com
#

#
#  4.6. buffer-limit
#  =================
#
#  Specifies:
#
#      Maximum size of the buffer for content filtering.
#
#  Type of value:
#
#      Size in Kbytes
#
#  Default value:
#
#      4096
#
#  Effect if unset:
#
#      Use a 4MB (4096 KB) limit.
#
#  Notes:
#
#      For content filtering, i.e. the +filter and +deanimate-gif
#      actions, it is necessary that Privoxy buffers the entire document
#      body. This can be potentially dangerous, since a server could
#      just keep sending data indefinitely and wait for your RAM to
#      exhaust -- with nasty consequences.  Hence this option.
#
#      When a document buffer size reaches the buffer-limit, it is
#      flushed to the client unfiltered and no further attempt to filter
#      the rest of the document is made. Remember that there may be
#      multiple threads running, which might require up to buffer-limit
#      Kbytes each, unless you have enabled "single-threaded" above.
#
buffer-limit 4096

#
#  5. FORWARDING
#  =============
#
#  This feature allows routing of HTTP requests through a chain
#  of multiple proxies. It can be used to better protect privacy
#  and confidentiality when accessing specific domains by routing
#  requests to those domains through an anonymous public proxy (see
#  e.g. http://www.multiproxy.org/anon_list.htm) Or to use a caching
#  proxy to speed up browsing. Or chaining to a parent proxy may be
#  necessary because the machine that Privoxy runs on has no direct
#  Internet access.
#
#  Also specified here are SOCKS proxies. Privoxy supports the SOCKS
#  4 and SOCKS 4A protocols.
#

#
#  5.1. forward
#  ============
#
#  Specifies:
#
#      To which parent HTTP proxy specific requests should be routed.
#
#  Type of value:
#
#      target_pattern http_parent[:port]
#
#      where target_pattern is a URL pattern that specifies to which
#      requests (i.e. URLs) this forward rule shall apply. Use /
#      to denote "all URLs".  http_parent[:port] is the DNS name or
#      IP address of the parent HTTP proxy through which the requests
#      should be forwarded, optionally followed by its listening port
#      (default: 8080). Use a single dot (.) to denote "no forwarding".
#
#  Default value:
#
#      Unset
#
#  Effect if unset:
#
#      Don't use parent HTTP proxies.
#
#  Notes:
#
#      If http_parent is ".", then requests are not forwarded to
#      another HTTP proxy but are made directly to the web servers.
#
#      Multiple lines are OK, they are checked in sequence, and the
#      last match wins.
#
#  Examples:
#
#      Everything goes to an example anonymizing proxy, except SSL on
#      port 443 (which it doesn't handle):
#
#        forward   /      anon-proxy.example.org:8080
#        forward   :443   .
#
#      Everything goes to our example ISP's caching proxy, except for
#      requests to that ISP's sites:
#
#        forward   /                  caching-proxy.example-isp.net:8000
#        forward   .example-isp.net   .
#

#
#  5.2. forward-socks4 and forward-socks4a
#  =======================================
#
#  Specifies:
#
#      Through which SOCKS proxy (and to which parent HTTP proxy)
#      specific requests should be routed.
#
#  Type of value:
#
#      target_pattern socks_proxy[:port] http_parent[:port]
#
#      where target_pattern is a URL pattern that specifies to which
#      requests (i.e. URLs) this forward rule shall apply. Use / to
#      denote "all URLs".  http_parent and socks_proxy are IP addresses
#      in dotted decimal notation or valid DNS names (http_parent may
#      be "." to denote "no HTTP forwarding"), and the optional port
#      parameters are TCP ports, i.e. integer values from 1 to 64535
#
#  Default value:
#
#      Unset
#
#  Effect if unset:
#
#      Don't use SOCKS proxies.
#
#  Notes:
#
#      Multiple lines are OK, they are checked in sequence, and the
#      last match wins.
#
#      The difference between forward-socks4 and forward-socks4a
#      is that in the SOCKS 4A protocol, the DNS resolution of the
#      target hostname happens on the SOCKS server, while in SOCKS 4
#      it happens locally.
#
#      If http_parent is ".", then requests are not forwarded to another
#      HTTP proxy but are made (HTTP-wise) directly to the web servers,
#      albeit through a SOCKS proxy.
#
#  Examples:
#
#      From the company example.com, direct connections are made to all
#      "internal" domains, but everything outbound goes through their
#      ISP's proxy by way of example.com's corporate SOCKS 4A gateway
#      to the Internet.
#
#        forward-socks4a   /              socks-gw.example.com:1080   www-cache.example-isp.net:8080
#        forward           .example.com   .
#
#      A rule that uses a SOCKS 4 gateway for all destinations but no
#      HTTP parent looks like this:
#
#        forward-socks4   /               socks-gw.example.com:1080  .
#

#
#  6. WINDOWS GUI OPTIONS
#  ======================
#
#  Privoxy has a number of options specific to the Windows GUI
#  interface:
#

#  If "activity-animation" is set to 1, the Privoxy icon will animate
#  when "Privoxy" is active. To turn off, set to 0.
#
#activity-animation   1

#  If "log-messages" is set to 1, Privoxy will log messages to the
#  console window:
#
#log-messages   1

#  If "log-buffer-size" is set to 1, the size of the log buffer,
#  i.e. the amount of memory used for the log messages displayed in
#  the console window, will be limited to "log-max-lines" (see below).
#
#  Warning: Setting this to 0 will result in the buffer to grow
#  infinitely and eat up all your memory!
#
#log-buffer-size 1

#  log-max-lines is the maximum number of lines held in the log
#  buffer. See above.
#
#log-max-lines 200

#  If "log-highlight-messages" is set to 1, Privoxy will highlight
#  portions of the log messages with a bold-faced font:
#
#log-highlight-messages 1

#  The font used in the console window:
#
#log-font-name Comic Sans MS

#  Font size used in the console window:
#
#log-font-size 8

#  "show-on-task-bar" controls whether or not Privoxy will appear as
#  a button on the Task bar when minimized:
#
#show-on-task-bar 0

#  If "close-button-minimizes" is set to 1, the Windows close button
#  will minimize Privoxy instead of closing the program (close with
#  the exit option on the File menu).
#
#close-button-minimizes 1

#  The "hide-console" option is specific to the MS-Win console version
#  of Privoxy.  If this option is used, Privoxy will disconnect from
#  and hide the command console.
#
#hide-console

#