Re: (FWD) Dynamic DNS Voodoo Documentation - Draft

> Feedback welcome before I submit to the email
> address for someone to review/include for others to use.
>
> Document URL:  http://www.skippingpebbles.com/Dynamic%20DNS%20Voodoo.pdf
>
> ----- End forwarded message -----

Okay, on the dynamic DNS section, not all routers can update it themselves. I use a program called ddclient. Here are the steps for installing and getting it working. Under windows, there is a different software client, available from the dyndns webpage, that I know nothing about.

1. Install ddclient. Under debian you can type apt-get install ddclient. You will be changing the debian installed configuration later, so just ignore the prompts. Make sure however, that you set it to launch on boot as a daemon.

2. Configure ddclient. Since you are most likely behind a NAT, you don't actually know your IP adress. Therefore, you will set ddclient to get it from the internet. Copy in the following configuration file, to /etc/ddclient substituting your actual login, password and hostname.

pid=/var/run/ddclient.pid
protocol=dyndns2
use=web,
server=members.dyndns.org
login=ExampleUser
password=ExamplePassword
TorNode.is-a-geek.net

3. Check it. You can ping your hostname to see if it works.

Also, in the port forwarding section, on my router you see a two port fields. In the document it claims these are for forwarding ranges of ports, but on my system they are for translating an outside port to an inside port. I use this to allow clients to connect on port 443, while having tor actually listen on 9001.