Windows 98 registry tweaks (was: Limit number of TCP connections?)

Hi Roger and all,

Thanks for the suggestions. In the meantime, I also found some clues
about the WSAENOBUFS problem in the Todo page at:
http://tor.eff.org/cvs/tor/doc/TODO .

I've tweaked the MaxConnections and TcpTimedWaitDelay registry entries.
The MaxUserPort entry is not valid in the Win 98 registry, according to
my information.

From info on the Win 98 registry, I gather that in Win 98,
MaxConnections can be raised to a max. value of 512 (100 is the default
value and 256 is not high enough).

TcpTimedWaitDelay determines the time that must elapse before TCP can
release a closed connection and reuse its resources. This period between
closure and release is the TIME_WAIT state. The default value is 240
seconds. I lowered the TcpTimedWaitDelay to 60 seconds, which releases
closed connections a lot quicker.

These settings appear to do the trick. I have run Tor as server for
about 7 hrs with the new registry settings and there were no problems
anymore. Just a couple of warning messages instead of an ever growing
list. Now I can also surf the web while Tor is running in the
background.

For those wanting to run Tor 0.0.9.6 in Win 98, here are instructions to
tweak the registry:

In your registry, look for:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\
Services\VxD\MSTCP [as one line]

Edit or add:
MaxConnections
Value Type: String
Value: 512

Edit or add:
TcpTimedWaitDelay
Value Type: String
Value: 60

(Both MaxConnections and TcpTimedWaitDelay were not present in my
registry. I had to add them. TcpTimedWaitDelay can be lowered to 30 if
necessary.)

Regards,
Ron

--