Re: Problem starting Tor.

Hi Roger.

Ok. I never installed the 0.1.2.8-beta but this is what occured when I
attempted to install the most recent release candidate:

WinXP (SP2)
Vidalia bundle 0.1.2.9RC

I downloaded and installed the bundle. In the process, the installer
notified me that I already had a torrc config file and would I like to
overwrite it? Yes. After it finished, I confirmed I would like to 'run
installed components now'. Within 10 seconds, a dark onion appeared in
my system tray with a red 'X' through it and a pop-up box appeared that
said: 'Vidalia was unable to start Tor. Check your settings to ensure
the correct name and location of your Tor executable is specified.'

I right-clicked on the onion (in the system tray) and clicked on
'settings'. The path to my tor executable is: 'C:\Program
Files\Tor\tor.exe' (no quotes). I confirmed that tor.exe is at that
location. After clicking the 'Save' button, I attempted to re-start tor
but with the same result. Re-booting the machine was also ineffective
stategy. Other steps taken? Peforming a complete search of my hard
drive (including subfolders and hidden files) for a 2nd tor.exe file
was unsuccessful.

Hope this helps,

:)

Thanks,

Caitlin

--- Roger Dingledine <arma@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 11:25:02PM -0800, Caitlin wrote:
> > I'm attempting to start Tor (the latest release candidate as of
> > 3.3.2007) and after including the parh to the tor.exe file, tor
> refuses
> > to start. I've checked for a duplicate file, a process that is
> already
> > running, etc. and I have been unsuccessful on all fronts.
> >
> > WinXP (SP2)
>
> Did 0.1.2.8-beta work for you?
>
> Can you clarify "refuses to start"? Be as specific as you can.
> See also http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#beprecise
> :)
>
> Thanks!
> --Roger