Re: Building tracking system to nab Tor pedophiles

OK, we heard a lot of technical details, I'll cover the non-tech part of it.

On 3/7/07, Fergie <fergdawg@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Comments?

Yes, it's stupid.

First, the legal issues. What he does is overtaking a TOR-user's
machine by malicious code. He's accusing people of being childporn
consuments based on the fact that *some* childporn keyword was found -
we all know how good that works! (just have a look at the available
internet filtering-software out there). I don't know about other
countries legislations but evidences which weer gathered illegally are
worth shit at court. So if you got a real child molester he'll be
found not guilty and when you find just some innocent dude you're
still going to destroy his personal life. Just the rumor "oh, that
dude does child-porn" is enough to destroy a lot of personal
relationsships.

Secondly: It's harming the TOR-project in two ways:
* TOR will lose valuable reputation and the rest of the world will
denounce us of bigotry.
* If the anti-child-porn patch will be applied the next lobby-group
will demand a backdoor. Why not the PETA? They could as for all
customers who bould furry clothes online. It's for the animals! Why
not the RIAA or MPAA? It's for the better good and the artists!

The idea is - and sorry for my language - a big pile of crap.

Just my 2c,
Alex.

-- "I am tired of all this sort of thing called science here... We have spent millions in that sort of thing for the last few years, and it is time it should be stopped." -- Simon Cameron, U.S. Senator, on the Smithsonian Institute, 1901.