Re: google

>      What happens when, instead of specifying google.com (I never do this;
> instead I specify google.us) and instead specify one of their servers in a
> specific country where another language is spoken?

Did not try. On the other hand, google.com has ... how to say?, *restarted* to
work via tor (or I have been redirected to a different, francophone google,
will check the logs) thankfully.

     Web Images Maps Actualites Video Gmail plus v Groupes Livre Blogs
     Agenda Photos Documents Reader
     et encore plus �
                                                                 iGoogle | Connexion
                               Google

     ________________________________________________________ Recherche avancee
        [ Recherche Google ] [ J'ai de la chance ]            Preferences
                                                              Outils linguistiques

     Rechercher dans : (X) Web ( ) Pages francophones ( ) Pages : France

     Programmes de publicite - Solutions d'entreprise - A propos de Google -
     Google.com in English

                             �2008 Google

This is the standard google, from Indonesia (without tor).

     Web Gambar Grup Pencarian Blog Direktori Gmail Foto

                                                                 iGoogle | Masuk

                               Google

     ________________________________________________________ Pencarian Khusus
        [ Telusuri dengan Google ] [ Saya Lagi Beruntung ]    Preferensi
                                                              Perangkat Bahasa

          Telusuri: (X) di web ( ) halaman dari Indonesia

     Google.co.id tersedia dalam bahasa: English Nederlands Bos Jowo

      Program Periklanan - Serba-serbi Google - Google.com in English

                             @2008 Google

I am multilingual to begin with. I use to visit google for an instant, even if
I don't need any services from it, just to see the IP of which country I have
inherited. (By the way, I typically get google in German.)

> Using this method, does it make a difference whether the language of your
> request matches the language of the server's country?

The main difference is ... should be, that the items are matched against
a given language with priority, which means that the sought entries may
be behind a lot in the list, eventually, and depending from the searching
criterii. (Examples: ada = VERY common verb in bahasa Indonesia.)

Another difference could be: selective censure. A third difference might be:
it becomes a bit harder for an expert program to guess/identify who is using
google. And the like, and so on.

Cheers,

/Roy Lanek
--
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS       tak ada gading yang tak retak
SSSSS . s l a c k w a r e  SSSSSS   there are no ivory that is not cracked